An MRI uses strong magnets to take amazingly detailed pictures of the inside of your body. However, you need to be very still for about 15-20 minutes as the MRI images are being taken. If you have an injury or pain, it can be difficult to lie still. Here’s how to prepare for your MRI when you are in pain.
- Pain medications: Take your recommended pain medications at least half an hour before your MRI unless you have been otherwise instructed by your doctor.
- Control your breathing: Slow rhythmic breathing will calm your central nervous system and will help you better manage your pain symptoms.
- Listen to relaxing music or watch a movie: The MRI machine does make a lot of noise while taking pictures. Depending on the part of your body being scanned, you may have the option to use headphones to listen to soothing music or watch your favorite movie. This will help take your mind off the pain.
- Get comfortable: Wear comfortable clothing and use the pillows provided to make yourself comfortable. If you child is having the MRI, they can bring along their favorite blanket or stuffed toy as long as there is no metal in it.
- Bring a friend or a family member along: As the MRI does not use any ionizing radiation it is safe for a friend to be with you in the MRI room. A familiar face or voice can be reassuring and help you relax during the procedure. The person accompanying you will need to change their clothing so there is no metal in the MRI room.
At Houston MRI & Diagnostic Imaging, we utilize some of the most advanced MRI machines which allow are patients to be as comfortable as possible during the procedure.
Our mission at Houston MRI ® & Diagnostic Imaging is to provide the patients and physicians with affordable medical diagnostic imaging in a warm and patient friendly environment. It is our goal to make the medical imaging procedure as pleasant as possible. Our promise to our communities is "hospital quality imaging without the hospital costs" with efficient service to both our patients and physicians.